Home Tourism

Millegin railway station

Millegin railway stationDescription : Millegin railway station, Millagan railway station or later Millegin Siding was briefly an intermediate stop situated on what became the Great North of Scotland Railway (GNoSR) line from Grange and Cairnie Junction to Tillynaught. Millegin served the rural community and the nearby saw mill in Banffshire. The line northwards ran to Tillynaught where it split to reach Banff by a branch line or Elgin by the Moray Coast line.Millegin was opened in 1859 by the Banff, Portsoy and Strathisla Railway... Page:m

Millegin
Millagan
Millegin or Millegan - geograph.org.uk - 413776.jpg
Millegin near Bridge of Millegin
Location
PlaceBanff, Aberdeenshire
AreaAberdeenshire
Coordinates57°32′44″N 2°48′33″W / 57.545593°N 2.809213°W / 57.545593; -2.809213Coordinates: 57°32′44″N 2°48′33″W / 57.545593°N 2.809213°W / 57.545593; -2.809213
Grid referenceNJ 516 508
Operations
Original companyBanff, Portsoy and Strathisla Railway
Pre-groupingGreat North of Scotland Railway
Platforms1
History
30 July 1859Opened
October 1860Closed to passengers
Disused railway stations in the United Kingdom
Closed railway stations in Britain
A B C D–F G H–J K–L M–O P–R S T–V W–Z
icon UK Railways portal

Millegin railway station, Millagan railway station or later Millegin Siding was briefly an intermediate stop situated on what became the Great North of Scotland Railway (GNoSR) line from Grange and Cairnie Junction to Tillynaught. Millegin served the rural community and the nearby saw mill in Banffshire. The line northwards ran to Tillynaught where it split to reach Banff by a branch line or Elgin by the Moray Coast line.

Millegin was opened in 1859 by the Banff, Portsoy and Strathisla Railway, and closed to passengers in October 1860, remaining as a freight siding that was however lifted by 1902. The line passed into British Railways ownership in 1948 and was, like the rest of the ex-GNoSR lines along the Moray coast, considered for closure as part of the Beeching report, closure notices were issued in 1963.

Station infrastructure

In 1867 the OS map shows that the station had closed and only a siding was present with a loading dock, by 1902 the siding had been lifted.

No physical remains of the station or siding are visible on site.


Preceding stationHistorical railwaysFollowing station
Grange
Towards Grange
 Great North of Scotland
Banff branch
 Knock
Towards Banff


[
  • v
  • t
  • e
]
Banff, Portsoy and
Strathisla Railway
LocaleScotland
Dates of operation1859 – 1968
SuccessorGreat North of Scotland Railway
Track gauge4 ft 8 2 in (1,435 mm)
Length19 2 miles (31.4 km)
Legend
Banff
Golf Club House
Bridgefoot Halt
Ladysbridge
Ordens
Portsoy Harbour
Portsoy
1st station
Goods only after 1884
Portsoy
2nd station and line to Tochieneal
opened in 1884, through to Elgin in 1886
Tillynaught
Cornhill
Glenbarry
Knock
Millegin
To Keith
Grange
Curve giving access from
Aberdeen opened in 1886
Cairnie Junction (after 1897)
Rothiemay
Huntly
to Aberdeen
Copyright 2008-2017 www.21pw.com